Thursday, March 19, 2020

“I'm Glad You're Happy” by Early Internet – A Song Feature


     Early Internet provides an exceptionally helpful explanation of the lyrics of “I'm Glad You're Happy.” The explanation is quoted in full below, but briefly, it’s about discovery through a social media app that your ex has moved on. Even with the explanation, the song is remarkably and enjoyably open to interpretation. The selection of instrumental accompaniment was unmistakably given much thought. At different times, we have different interpretations of the selections.

     The first seconds of “I'm Glad You're Happy” are ambient. Then, a guitar enters with easily distinguishable, slowly played notes. The guitar and ambient backing deservedly receive attention, but don’t distract from the vocals, which are solemn and evidence clear mindedness. The last three verses share three lines, but the middle occurrence (at 2:13) departs from the calmness of the other two. Suddenly, powerful percussion makes its presence, the guitars are fuzzier, and the vocals are overdubbed. Does this reflect a temporary surfacing of the pain?

     Early Internet is Dean Stafford, who is based in Los Angeles. He describes "I'm Glad You're Happy:"
  “It's a song about the initial moment of surprise and numbness that occurs when discovering your ex has moved on. It's about the strangeness of finding out while scrolling through a social media app on your phone. It's about the end of any lingering denial and wanting to be happy for this person, despite emotions. It's a song about acceptance. The song was written and recorded in Austin, TX with producer, Devon Corey, after meeting at a house show in LA.”

     “I'm Glad You're Happy” by Early Internet 




Lyrics of “I'm Glad You're Happy” by Early Internet
Stare at screens
Fiend for feeds and I scroll
New York City
Deals its hand and I fold

It’s coming up against me
Showing off your heart
Is everything against me?
I don’t think you are

Here’s the truth
Four frames in a booth
Flash your eyes
And catch me surprised
Separate
You move on, I still wait for what’s done
And all your echoes are gone

It’s coming up against me
Showing off your heart
Is everything against me?
I don’t think you are

It’s coming up against me
Showing off your heart
Is everything against me?

It’s coming up against me
Showing off your heart
Is everything against me?

No comments:

Post a Comment