Monday, March 16, 2020

“Son” by Gordon Franklin Jr. – A Song Feature


     “Son” wastes no time in defining itself as a hook-heavy, Blues-driven single that invites the listener to dive into the flow. The grittiness in the vocals and the earthiness that is inherent in the Blues harmonica contribute to making the debut release of Gordon Franklin Jr. feel “approachable.” When combined with the guitar/bass hooks, “Son” is a melody that first attracts and then entraps the attention of the listener.

     Lyrically, “Son” is a combination of confession, advice to a son, and profession of love to another. “It seems I only learn from the [mistakes] I make.” The son should not make the same mistakes (Is this a song about heading to prison?). She should retain her smile, “It will stop the world for a while.”   

      Gordon Franklin Jr. is a Blues Rock band based in Ottawa, Canada. The band is fronted by Doc (Seth) Yates. He is a Naturopathic Doctor, Registered Acupuncturist and Kinesiologist. He is also a prolific musician. In a Facebook post, he explained that he drives three bands in which each has a different genre focus:
  “Just as I would never ask you to only listen to one genre of music for the rest of your life, I can't just write one genre. I love writing Country, Rock/Blues and Folk! Since I'm not going to head south and try to spend my time pitching tunes... I created a few more bands to play all my tunes. Introducing:
"Gordon Franklin Jr" (Rock/Blues)
"SETH" (Folk)
And "Doc Yates" will keep bringing in the Country!
My mama gave me lots of names, damn sure I'm gonna use them all!"

      “Son” by Gordon Franklin Jr.



No comments:

Post a Comment