Friday, June 16, 2017

“Tend to the Thorns” by William the Conqueror – A Song Review

     If Kings of Leon (Caleb Followill) were to improve upon their already emotive crooning skills and were to add gentle female backing vocals, they would approach the effectiveness of William the Conqueror in their song “Tend to the Thorns.” The trio brings its brand of Blues-tinged Southern Rock to what is likely to be an appreciative Indie audience.

     William The Conqueror are Ruarri Joseph (vocals, guitar), Harry Harding (drums), and Naomi Holmes (vocals, bass). They claim Cornwell (England) as their “current location” and Loose Music as their label.
     This is not the first appearance of the name Ruarri Joseph in an Indie Obsessive blogpost. Before joining forces with Harding and Holmes, Joseph released a song and video that were powerful in their ability to convey acceptance of the fragile nature of our existence (if interested, CLICK HERE to view the earlier post and the video).
     In discussing “Tend to the Thorns,” Joseph stated:
  "It's about trust I guess and owning your mistakes. It's one of the first songs we recorded in my garage still messing around with our sound. We only had three channels but knew we wanted it huge so we did a mix where we had three drum kits all going at once and yeah, it sounded huge, only trouble was you couldn't hear anything else.  Like the song, it was a lesson in going too far and then figuring out the answer once you've calmed down!" 

     The song will be one of ten songs on an upcoming album from William the Conqueror. The album, "Proud Distributor of the Peace,” is scheduled for release (via Loose) on August 4, 2017.
     “Tend to the Thorns” by William the Conqueror


Lyrics of “Tend to the Thorns” by William the Conqueror
Still the wheels are moving
Quick and steady as we go
I see you're leaving
Right before we start to slow
Too young to know, too crazed to care

I dreamed I found the answer
Right before we'd start to fall
But that's the point
I only ever dreamed it all
Too deep for sense, too steep to climb

And if I do it again, don't waste your time
Tend to the thorns and give me a sign
‘Cause I love you so, love love love you so

The other leaves don't tremble
They sure as hell don't fight and fall
So, what's the point
Of ever fighting them at all
My silent self, my selfish ways

‘Cause I want you for myself
No more signs and no mistake
The trouble is
You were never mine to take
Too lost to see, too strong to hear

That if I do it again, don't waste your time
Tend to the thorns and give me a sign
‘Cause I love you so, love, love, love you so
I love you so, love, love, love you so

No comments:

Post a Comment