Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ruarri Joseph - "Until the Luck Runs Dry"

   According to some of her fans, Taylor Swift writes her best songs after a breakup with another guy.  And the hits keep comin'.  As noted in the January 24 post (January 24) about Deep Elm Records, the permanent loss of a friend also inspires songwriters.  We still love "The Lines above Our Heads" by Again for the Win.

     Two weeks ago, Ruarri Joseph permitted limited acess to "Until the Luck Runs Dry."  The song will be on his fourth album (Brother) when it is released later this year.  Joseph is from Newqual, Cornwall (in the U.K.).  He wrote "Until the Luck Runs Dry" after the passing of a close freind.

    By itself, the song would be worthwhile, but not blog-worthy.  What sets it apart is the fit of the song with the official video.  Both the lyrics of the song and the scenes in the video are directed to the recognition and acceptance of how fragile existence is.  In the video, an artist with a rake creates a masterpiece in the sand.  Then, he climbs the hill for his return home, looks down, recognizes that the tide has done its work in removing his efforts, and smiles.  The initial condition of the rake indicates that it is not the first time he has gone through the process.

   Meanwhile, the song's lyrics provide:
"Gonna find myself free of suspense,
Will my faults to fail.
Spint by the reservoirs under the silver stars.
Tailor my feelings to suit,
Shut my eyes and leap.
Promise ahead of me moving so steadily.
Right by my side as I go is something easy.
Sailing through tides we don't know but we're happy to try.
Until the luck runs dry.

Gonna run myself ragged you know,
Chasing dreams we share.
So move aside gentlemen, I will  not lose her again.
Fake like I know how to act
When the toll cuts thick. 
Promises listening, agony wearing thin.
Cuz right by my side as I go is something so easy.
Sailing through tides we don't know, but we're happy to try,
Until the luck runs dry.

Long as our steps make our way.
Loose we dance so slow,
Way up ahead of the trials we treaded so long.
Cuz right by my side as I go is something so easy.
Sailing through tides we don't know, but we're happy to try
Until the luck runs dry."


No comments:

Post a Comment