Friday, October 11, 2019

“L. Lane” by Callum Pitt – A Song Feature


     The skills of Callum Pitt are in full display in his single “L. Lane.”  Callum’s finger-pick dexterity is apparent from guitar that dances in and out as the song progresses. He is often praised for strength in the falsetto register, as justified by backing vocals in “L. Lane.” The single has the infectious rhythm of Folk influenced by the sensibilities of American Westerns. And the lyrics are intelligent - for example:
And I'm painfully aware life can be plucked out as a hair
And I'm somewhere else, almost anywhere
And neglecting time that I won't get back
Oh no

     If pressed to identify a “best sequence” in “L. Lane,” the choice would be the subtlety in the stepped attractiveness that occurs during the verse that includes the lyrics shown above (the full verse begins at 1:18). Prior to reaching the line that begins “And I’m painfully aware…,” the song has an energizing rhythmic drumming and the soothing voice of Callum Pitt. Crisp guitar joins during “painfully aware,” upping the attractiveness. The guitar work is higher frequency, then somewhat lower. Next, the level of attractiveness is increased again by adding harmonization, which is likely achieved by overdubbing the voice of Callum.

     Callum Pitt is an Indie Folk musician from Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK. He identifies his influences as The War On Drugs, Bon Iver, and Fleet Foxes.

      “L. Lane” by Callum Pitt




Lyrics of “L. Lane” by Callum Pitt
The edges of the curtains were golden and blurred
Lay and watched the shadows move like silence falling on a church
This fatigue seems to be spreading out like wildfire through my bones
'Cause I can't see straight in this thickening haze of resentment to these days that leave us alone

Words don't pierce this ringing in my ears
I'm just watching as these minutes disappear

I walked about an hour as the light went down
'Cause I was trying to get some air while you were trying not to drown
And I'm painfully aware life can be plucked out as a hair
And I'm somewhere else almost anywhere and neglecting time that I won't get back
Oh no

Words don't pierce this ringing in my ears
I'm just watching as these minutes disappear

The chorus of the birds are bringing in the light
And I'm shuffling down L. Lane tonight
And I've been dreaming of the day, oh for now it's out of sight
Shuffling down L. Lane tonight

Words don't pierce this ringing in my ears
I'm just watching as these minutes disappear

The chorus of the birds are bringing in the light
And I'm shuffling down L. Lane tonight
And I've been dreaming of the day oh for now it's out of sight
Shuffling down L. Lane tonight
[Repeat]

No comments:

Post a Comment