Thursday, October 17, 2019

“Sucker” by Dan Sadin – A Song and Video Feature


     “Sucker” is rhythm done right. After a short intro, the vocals of Dan Sadin are accompanied by percussion and by acoustic guitar with a greater emphasis on rhythm than melody. The message is clear – the mission statement of “Sucker” is to electrify the surroundings.

      The song is vocally driven, but “Sucker” pays proper attention to the instrumental support. In fact, it brought an increased appreciation of the saxophone. During the intro and other portions of the song, a baritone sax sound (might be synth generated) establishes an attractive texturing. Then, two minutes into the single, a confirmed sax makes a brief appearance, foreshadowing a nostalgia-inducing sax “solo” at the 2:33 mark. This sax is provided  by Justin Klunk.

     Dan Sadin is based in Los Angeles. Prior to releasing his debut EP in 2018, he established a ten-year career playing, writing, producing and performing with artists like FRENSHIP, Holychild, MØ, Jessie Ware and Sabrina Claudio at venues and festivals around the world.

      Lyrically, “Sucker” shares an internal battle so many of us are fighting: the choice to conform and be accepted or stand out and risk rejection. In choosing the latter, Dan delivers the raw, familiar, heartache we have all felt when we take that risk to speak our truth. Interestingly, the storyline in the video is built around a chance encounter with a pair of selfie-obsessed fans. A text of one photo hits the phone of a couple in a restaurant, who are impressed. Sadin has taken a risk and has obtained deserved success. The selfie taking even incinerates one of the phones.

     Quoting a bio:
  Sadin’s style draws on a nostalgic reverence for heroes who have come before like Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith, while writing a new story and sound that inspires hope that our generation of artists can shift the current narrative from disconnection to connection. Sadin’s songs don’t claim to know the answers but rather reveal the process of growth that it has taken for him to find his own voice  

     “Sucker” by Dan Sadin

On-line access to “Sucker:” http://hyperurl.co/dansadinisasucker



Lyrics of “Sucker” by Dan Sadin
Everytime I get up just to get out
I feel like a fraud
What’s the point of faking it?
It’s just big talk

No a drink in my hand ain’t the only life I wanna know
Is it wrong for me to want to reach out
For something more?

Oh, I’m a sucker for anything real.
Won’t you tell me how the loneliness feels.
I wanna hear how you went flat broke
You’re scared to get old
Life’s not all that you thought it would be
Cause I’m a sucker for anything real...

Maybe I’m the one that’s got it wrong
But it don’t feel right
Try to put the light on
But you can’t run from the night
And I’m tired every time my life ends up in the shallows
Cause I’m looking for more than just an easy pill to swallow

Oh, I’m a sucker for anything real
Won’t you tell me how the loneliness feels
I wanna hear how you went flat broke
You’re scared to get old
Life’s not all that you thought it would be
Cause I’m a sucker for anything real

Oh, I’m a sucker for anything real
Mmmmm
And won’t you tell me how the loneliness feels
Mmmmm
Come on

Cause I’m a sucker for anything real
So won’t you tell me how the loneliness feels
I’m a sucker for anything real

No comments:

Post a Comment