Friday, July 10, 2020

“Start Again” by Woodlock – A Song Feature


     Another voice joined Woodlock during the recording of “Start Again.” The voice slides seamlessly into the already strong vocals of Woodlock. It is not surprising. The voice belongs to the sister of the band’s two vocalists, Eze and Zech Walters, who formed the band with Bowen Purcell after the brothers moved to Australia.

     Siblings often share vocal characterizes, which can be an advantage in harmonization. In “Start Again” Woodlock capitalizes on the advantage. Perhaps more importantly, a sibling is more likely to capture the emotion of the life occurrence that motivated the song. “Start Again” reflects Zech’s struggle through a difficult divorce. He explains:
  “’Start Again’ is an interesting one for me. I wrote this in the lowest of lows; and in retrospect, I was trying to tell myself that I'm destined to be more than what I was at that time. It’s a struggle with the second verse. I wholeheartedly believed that I would come back together with my ex-wife and “start again” with her. As time has gone on, I've come to realize that the words in the song came true, just not in the way I believed it would happen. We have both had to start again. But not together."

     Clearly, the heartfelt vocals of the song drive “Start Again.” But the acoustic guitars add texture and the percussion is forceful without disturbing the melodic flow.

    As already noted, Woodlock is formed of Ezekiel Walters (guitar, vocals), Zechariah Walters (guitar, vocals), and Bowen Purcell (percussion). They are currently based in Melbourne. The trio is now signed with Nettwerk Records and is headed toward an October 9 release date of their EP “Collateral.”

      “Start Again” by Woodlock 


No comments:

Post a Comment