Tuesday, May 2, 2017

“Blue Collar Sex Kitten” by Lauren Ruth Ward – A Song Review

     If you’re looking for gentleness, move on, there’s nothing to hear here. In a previous release, Lauren Ruth Ward asked the question “Did I Offend You?” She no longer cares. “Blue Collar Sex Kitten” is unapologetic, both lyrically and melodically. Even during the song's dream-state bridge, in which speech is slowed and Ward’s voice becomes more distant, the song maintains its Rock (in)sensitivities.

     On the other hand, if you’re looking for a charismatic performance, join us in checking the tour schedule of Lauren Ruth Ward. In addition to the Soundcloud stream of “Blue Collar Sex Kitten,” a Youtube video is embedded in this post. The video shows Ward singing “Blue Collar Sex Kitten” in an intimate setting (at Vista Kicks Studio). She has an attention-grabbing presence. The video also shows the song’s co-writer, Eduardo Rivera, on guitar. That is Liv Slingerland playing bass and India Pascucci on drums.  

     The lyrics of “Blue Collar Sex Kitten” are included below. In a micro sense, the song is about remaining unapologetic for your sexual preference. But in the macro sense:
  "This song is about having pent up thoughts bursting at all seams. It's about having all these opinions, all these contradictions, all these experiences, all these reservations bottled up inside because for whatever reason, someone deems them inappropriate to express. When writing this song, the lyrics just poured out of me without me having to place too much thought onto the pen and paper. We spend too much time trying to please the world and emphasize a curated picture perfect image of ourselves when in reality we're all flawed. Admitting that is good. Thriving in it is better."
Lauren Ruth Ward and Eduardo Rivera

  “Blue Collar Sex Kitten” 


  


The lyrics of “Blue Collar Sex Kitten”
VERSE 1
It was awkward like F minor the first time I saw you naked.
Thought you found Jesus in me while I lied there faking.
You told your mama I was coming late again again again again.
My brain has a mind of its own, I don't know which way it goes.

CHORUS 1
Party humor, be my human, be my savior, laugh at my jokes, I've been on good behavior.
May seem filthy, sister calls me a little brother, dirty dancing is my Mexico fun.
I'm a dyke, dated guys, ain't a crime, won't apologize for my tribe.

VERSE 2
You should let me cut your hair to make you look a little better.
They'll be barking up your tree Mary, Allison, and Heather.
Oh be my friend or hate my guts, it doesn't matter, we're all fucked.
My brain has a mind of its own, I don't know which way it goes.

CHORUS 2
I was California dreaming, American dream's deceiving, East coast leaving, weekend heathen.
Contemplation, admiration, salivation, masturbation: four - step Friday night.
I'm a dyke, dated guys, ain't a crime, won't apologize for my tribe.

BRIDGE
I ain't the man I could have been on the East Coast.
I ain't the man I should have been on the East Coast.
I am the man I could have been on the East Coast.
I ain't the man I should have been on the East Coast.
I am the man I could've been.

VERSE 3
Burned bridge builder, got thrown off kilter, brightened up my filter, so I wouldn't kill her, or be sadistic, by those ballistic, or become a statistic!
I'm a dyke, dated guys, ain't a crime, won't apologize for my tribe.


No comments:

Post a Comment