Friday, September 15, 2017

“Long Way Down” by Lloyd Llewellyn – A Song Review

     When listeners sense that a vocalist is fully invested into the inspiration behind and the messaging of a song, to the point of risking emotional bankruptcy, they too make the investment. Indie Obsessive reaches into its emotion wallet each time “Long Way Down” radiates from the speakers.

     The vocals of Lloyd Llewellyn define the depth of “Long Way Down,” but the instrumentals and backing vocals perform critical roles in establishing its shape and smoothing any unintended rough edges. The instrumental support ranges from minimalist piano to thundering percussion. At the start, the piano is simple, yet effective. Shortly, a lone trumpet joins, along with gentle piano notes from further to the right along the keyboard. Later, the percussion transitions from taps, to spaced handclaps, and then emotion-stirring thunderous drumming.

     While the contributions of the instruments should be appreciated, it’s the soulfulness of Llewellyn’s voice that makes “Long Way Down” an emotional experience. Production and processing can work magic with recorded vocals. But passion must be carried to the recording by the artist. Lloyd Llewellyn brought passion to the recording of “Long Way Down.”

     Lloyd Llewellyn is a singer/songwriter in London. He plays the piano and guitar on “Long Way Down.” The bass belongs to Charles Frayer. According to his press materials: 
  "Inspired by his Grandad, Lloyd’s music is founded on an early passion for blues artists such as BB King , Robert Johnson and Ray Charles. Merging this with more contemporary influences such as Bon Iver, Ben Howard, and London Grammar, Lloyd Llewellyn has crafted a sound that when coupled with his distinctive vocals he is set apart from his peers."

     “Long Way Down” by Lloyd Llewellyn 


Lyrics of “Long Way Down” by Lloyd Llewellyn
And I'm rising from the dust
Fighting with my bold, but brittle bones
Take a helping hand
I've battled with the depths of warring souls
And I refuse to go
And I refuse to go

I voiced and gained control
Of the demons that marked my home
It's a long way down
It's a long way down

White knuckles turned to stone
I'm tearing at the grip of sanguine holds
It's a long way down
It's a long way down

Woo, I’m crawling through the walls
I'm losing fears, but losing home
It's a long way down
It's a long way down

I’m crawling through the walls
I'm losing fears, but losing home
It's a long way down
It's a long way down

Oh, no, no, no
Oh, no, no, no
Oh, no, no, no
It’s a long way down
Oh, no, no, no

I'm rising from the dust
Fighting with my bold, but brittle bones
Take a helping hand
I've battled with the depths of warring souls
And I refuse to go
And I refuse to go


No comments:

Post a Comment