Friday, May 13, 2016

“Like Eye Did” by Fil Bo Riva – A Song Review

   
     Is it a compliment to state that when you first heard a song, the vocals reminded you of Tom Waits? In our case, the intent is to be complimentary. Gravel-voiced performers who can somehow still sound melodic are uncommon.
     Fil Bo Riva does not have the same “gravel level” as Tom Waits, so if you’re not a fan of Waits, don’t run from the song “Like Eye Did.” A quick look at the Soundcloud waveform indicates the many fluctuations in the tempo and energy of the song.

     “​Like Eye Did​” is ​the lead single from an EP, 'If You're Right, It's Alright,' that will be released this June. Quoting the press materials in an email submission regarding the song:
     "FIL BO RIVA. Three words, three cities. Rome, Dublin and Berlin. The 23-year old half-Italian grew up in the Roman suburbs and spent his youth in Ireland. His first song was an homage to Pete Doherty and he moved to Berlin in 2012 after his first visit to the city.
     Fil Bo Riva is a tube-amp-driven-like-something voice of a young fellow, that will haunt you, merging beating melancholic songs and extreme dynamic. His music is something in between Folk and Soul; the result of a twisted mind and a beating loving heart."

“Like Eye Did” by Fil Bo Riva (unfortunately, it's now inaccessible in the U.S.)




Lyrics of "Like Eye Did”
Hey. I know, you never loved me like I did
You know, I never kid you like you did

You're the beat in my head
Shoot me down and shoot me dead
You're the beat in my head
You're the beat in my head
You shot me down and shot me dead
You're the beat in my head
Bang Bang
Oh, Bang Bang
Oh oh, Bang Bang

I know, you never loved me like I did
You know, I never kid you like you did
I know, I didn't leave, I didn't go
You know, you did nothing down low.

You're the beat in my head
Shoot me down and shoot me dead
Baby that's what I said
You're the beat in my head
You shot me down and shot me dead
How the fuck did this happen
Bang Bang
Oh oh, Bang Bang

You're the beat in my head
You shot me down and shot me dead
How the fuck did this happen
You're the beat in my head
You shot me down and shot me dead
How the fuck did this happen
Oh oh...

She fell in love with a friend
She fell in love in the end
She fell in love once again
She fell in love with a friend
She made me believe I could wait till the end
I know, you never loved me like I did.

2 comments: