Monday, January 9, 2023

“Moon Boy” by First Day Of Spring – A Song Feature

 

     The start of “Moon Boy” reminds us of the Moody Blues, who would sometimes begin songs by reciting poetry. An example is the 1968 release of “The Word & Om.”  “Moon Boy,” a single from the UK band First Day Of Spring, begins with a 19th Century poem from Charles Baudelaire. The message of the poem is that you should remain continually drunk. But the intoxication isn’t necessarily from alcohol. The poem states, “But on what? Wine, poetry or virtue, as you wish. But be drunk.”
 
     The poem and the lyrics are included at the bottom of this post. First Day Of Spring frontman, Samuel Jones, said that the poem was spoken by friend and poet Lucia Dove, who was joined by Micky Denny. Jones also provided insights into “Moon Boy:”
  "I feel like I write a lot about my attempts/struggles to live in the moment and being present. A mindfulness kind of thing I suppose, in the sense of leaving things behind and not looking too far forward. This song has that going on in there somewhere. The video has a lot of looking back. I’m someone who clearly clings on to the past quite a bit. And this is what I mean by being present. No past or future, just the beauty of the now in a positive way. I wanted the song to have a real unashamed buoyancy to it and I think that has been achieved.”
 
      Originally hailing from the coast of Southend-on-sea but now residing in London, First Day Of Spring is a five-member band.
First Day Of Spring's music has various themes. euphoric & exuberant, or through gentle melancholic stillness, taking the listener out of their own reality is the aim of the songwriting. “Moon Boy” is the first release of four songs that will be on the upcoming album “Fly Over Apple Blossom.”
 
     “Moon Boy” by First Day Of Spring

“Moon Boy” by First Day Of Spring
The poem of 19th Century poet Charles Baudelaire:
You have to be always drunk. That's all there is to it—it's the only way. So as not to feel the horrible burden of time that breaks your back and bends you to the earth, you have to be continually drunk.
But on what? Wine, poetry or virtue, as you wish. But be drunk.
And if sometimes, on the steps of a palace or the green grass of a ditch, in the mournful solitude of your room, you wake again, drunkenness already diminishing or gone, ask the wind, the wave, the star, the bird, the clock, everything that is flying, everything that is groaning, everything that is rolling, everything that is singing, everything that is speaking. . .ask what time it is and wind, wave, star, bird, clock will answer you: "It is time to be drunk! So as not to be the martyred slaves of time, be drunk, be continually drunk! On wine, on poetry or on virtue as you wish."
 
The lyrics:
I don’t want to be around
The older guys
To ease my mind
I get tired of being around
When all the guys
Are weighing’ me down
You’ve gone and wasted on my time
Because your wasted on that moon shine
 
Change my mind
Change my mind
Change my mind
Change the times
Make me kind
Make me kind
 

No comments:

Post a Comment